Entrepreneurs come in all shapes and sizes, and every business plays a critical role in keeping Montana’s towns vibrant. The Treasure State consistently ranks among the top five in reports from the Kauffman Foundation in rates of business ownership and business sustainability.
In our Q and A series, we’ll introduce you to some of Montana’s brightest and best entrepreneurs from all corners of the state. These businesses are involved in a variety of industries including hospitality, retail, and food.
Let’s head to Bozeman and meet business owner Karyn Carpenter!
Eskay Bridal Profile
1. What is the name of your business?
2. Are you a native of Montana? If you are, where is your hometown and why do you love it? If not, why did you decide to make Montana home?
I graduated from MSU and was lucky enough to stay and start my own business! I love this area because we still have a small town Montana community feel. I’m originally from Shelby, Montana and feel like Bozeman still resembles a small town community. It’s just a little bigger than where I grew up!
3. How long has your business been in operation? What does your business do?
I have been in business for 7 years and we sell formal apparel for brides, bridesmaids, prom gowns, and we have tux rentals.
4. What has surprised you about owning your own business?
How truly rewarding all your hard work can be!
5. Why should an entrepreneur start a business in Montana?
We have tremendous community support for small businesses in the state of Montana. I think people really enjoy knowing they’re supporting local, family-run small businesses in our state, and appreciate good customer service!
6. Why did you decide to start your business?
I knew I needed to be my own boss.
7. What are three pieces of advice you would give someone about starting a company in Montana?
- Work with a local business start-up center. We, fortunately, have the Montana Women’s Business center here in Bozeman and they are wonderful for help in your business planning.
- Talk to other business owners maybe in your same line of work, you’d be surprised how willing most of them are to give business advice.
- Surround yourself with some great mentors or some sort of business owner support system!
8. Is there anything else you would like to add?
I’m a fourth generation native Montanan and truly enjoy going to work every day! It’s important to find something you love to do and do well! It will shine through your business.
Do you know a local business that should be highlighted on our Q +A feature? Fill out the following questionnaire here, and we will consider featuring your business!
Subscribe to Make Montana Home
Like what you see? Sign up to get our latest articles via email!